Monday, September 21, 2009

Happiness

Today I'm overwhelmed with happiness.  Maybe more contentedness (is that a word?).  I feel no pain, I have been able to work a bit this last week without major complications, I've created major boundaries in my 6 week relationship with Unger (now only used rarely), and sleep peacefully.  Life is good!

Josh (my 17 year old) had Homecoming dance on Saturday - I made spaghetti and they hung out here.  Cute girls, all round good time.  He seems to be making his way to good friends and even better decisions.  I take a little breath and hold it. 

Natalie (my 13 year old) has increased her eye rolling, huffing, and shoulder slouching in such a way that tells me I must be parenting her instead of being her friend. I'll take it!  Someday she'll get it.  Someday.  She informs me that she's single again.  What?  What happened?  After all, she was "dating" this new boy for about 4 days as far as I can tell.  I ask her if she needs me to get her something to soothe her tears.  That same day, she mentions some kid named Braxton who is going to be at 8th grade lagoon day next Spring.  Will she survive until then?  Oh, I have no doubt. 

Amelia (my 5 year old) recently caught a cold that made her voice crack and break.  She related her concern about losing her voice at 4:30 in the morning last Thursday night: 

Amelia: "Mom, I'm scared of losing my voice because I don't know sign language!"
Me: "You don't need sign language, it'll come back." I said this as we're walking back down the hall with my back to her so she can't see I'm trying not to laugh.

Next morning before school she announced that she thinks it'd be okay if she loses her voice, she'll just use her own sign language.  She makes a few seizure-like gestures and asks me what that said.

I don't know, Mia, I don't know sign language...

No comments:

Post a Comment